Freight charges vary upon your freight forwarder or the logistics Company that is offering you the shipping facility. Freight rates, in general, fluctuate a lot due to various macroeconomic reasons and market forces. The fluctuations in freight rates are inevitable and out of our control, but what we can control is how to calculate it so as to make an estimation of freight costs before shipping a cargo. The simple-looking concept ‘freight rates’ is only simple in terms, not in the calculation. A freight rate is also influenced by a lot of surcharges and factors that are included in its calculation. So, is there any way to simplify the task of freight rate calculation? Yes, there is. A freight calculator is easily available online that can be accessed to calculate the freight rates within a minute.
A freight calculator can be used to estimate freight costs of shipping a cargo within a few minutes.
How To Use a Freight Calculator?
A freight calculator is an online tool used to calculate freight charges based on a number of inputs. It is a tool that helps you do the complex calculation in a few instant clicks. As said, freight rates vary depending upon various factors and the freight forwarder. A freight calculator gives you an estimation by taking all these factors into consideration.
To start with a reliable source, you can use a freight calculator which is easily available on the internet.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Go to any online website and look for an online freight calculator page where you can calculate freight rates
- Step 2: In most of the cases, you must create an account with the website in order to use the service.
- Step 3: Once registered, you will have to fill the required details needed to calculate the freight charges. Fill up the port of origin (the port from where your cargo will be shipped) and port of destination (where your cargo will reach). Select the size of your container and its type (hazardous or non-hazardous). Proceed to fill other necessary details as well.
- Step 4: You will find a page that shows the list of shipping lines that provide shipping facilities on your predefined route. You can choose a shipping line of your choice. You can also check the freight rates of all the shipping lines and then choose a suitable one as per your preference.
(Note: For booking a shipment, you need to complete the KYC (Know Your Customer) process, which is also mandatory. Otherwise, if you only want to check the rates, KYC is not necessary)
This is how you can make an estimation of freight costs of your cargo using a freight calculator. So, use a freight calculator to assess how much money you need to spend in order to ship off a particular amount of cargo. You can change the inputs as well and get the desired results accordingly. The best part is that the calculator is free of cost.
Advantages of Freight Calculator
A freight calculator offers a lot of advantages to its user, such as:
- It is time-saving: One can easily avail a freight calculator online and use it whenever and wherever he wants. The calculation is done in a few clicks. This saves a lot of time for the person.
- It comes free of cost: A freight calculator does not require any charges. Generally, it comes free of cost.
- Easily Accessible: A freight calculator is very simple and user-friendly which makes it an easily accessible tool. Traditionally, people used to consider all the surcharges included in the freight rates and then do the calculation of freight costs manually which is not a possible task for everyone.
- It is more accurate than manual calculation: Any manual calculation is prone to errors, especially when it is as complex as the calculation of freight charges. A freight calculator provides accurate estimations.
- It helps in saving money: You can compare the charges of various shipping lines and choose the most economical option with the help of a freight calculator. This helps you to save some money in your wallet.
It is a very much known fact that freight rates fluctuate randomly and can vary depending upon a lot of factors. Freight charges also depend upon the type of container (FCL/LCL), cargo type, rates of surcharges that are included in it and so on. Thus, a freight calculator can simplify the calculation for you and help you choose the best and most suitable option for cargo shipment.